1 How to find story ideas – Read
2 Developing Story Ideas – Read
3 Formula for a Well written article – Read
Come up with your own idea and post as
WK11 Story ideas
Look for 5 story ideas –
Find three stories on Eugene Register Guard
Fill out story idea sheet to turn in…Story Idea Sheet – handout
Story ideasIDEAS:Check local and daily newspapers
- Check Internet sites of teen interest and schools
- Check online student newspapers
- Talk with the school’s public relations person
- Talk with coaches, guidance counselors, secretaries and the principal
- Talk with the principal’s advisory group or cabinet
- Talk with student council members and the sponsor
- Survey teachers about unusual assignments, clubs they sponsor, students in their classes who are involved in interesting activities.
- “Beat Letters” for all clubs, organizations, teams, department heads, PTA, custodian or maintenance works, librarians.
- Contact parent groups, such as athletic boosters or band boosters
- Walk around the school and take note of posted fliers
- Look at the sports calendar, district calendar and school calendar
- Ask your friends what they would like to see in the paper
- Survey students in the school newspaper or as a class assignment
- Contact cafeteria workers, bus drivers, maintenance personnel, etc.
- Watch local and national news programs for stories that might interest your audience
- Exchange newspapers with other schools
- Brainstorm in class
- Seek out students, coaches, teachers, staff, alumni or clubs to profile
- Contact the alunni group
- Check out other media for new releases, such as CDs, movies or books
- “Play Detective” — ask questions about things that have sparked your curiosity
- Ask your peers to write letters to the editor, columns, editorial cartoons or to participate in “man-on-the-street” columnns
- Check out school policies or the code of conduct
- Attend school board meetings
3 Assignment Preparation Sheet – GC
30 minutes – work on story.
Writing the Lead
What to Avoid In Leads
Lead Writing Exercise
WK11 Lead – GC
Write a LEAD for the story that is handed out in class
Future of Journalism?
Write and POST your Lead from the interview
Friday-Critique one hard news story from all three site:
“Zero TV” Homes?
Whats happening in media today?
Hack Heaven – Read in class discuss
Post your thoughts as WK9 Hack Heaven – Google Classroom
Go over Hack Heaven story – Pennenberg article
WK9 Trustworthy – Google Classroom
Shattered Glass Activity Activity 1 – Google Classroom
Complete SG Activities……….. 10-15 minutes
Go over rankings…..
Go over SG Activity 1 and SG Activity 2
You are being interviewed by a major news publication, and you tell the reporter something that is “off the record.”
You use a slightly vulgar word to describe someone else’s recent actions. A reporter from a news department overhears what you said, and he tweets that statement to the world.
After he does, he claims he did not know that what you said was “off the record.”
Off The Record?
WK9 OTR – Answer on Google Classroom
Critique an article from each site (4 TOTAL) – Google Classroom
Register Guard news
Critiques for journalism – (If you need it)
WK7 Web Critiques – GC
Wednesday – TV Critique
Bill of Rights
WK7 Test Your Knowledge of the Freedom of the Press? -GC
3 – Ira Glass on Storytelling
4 – Convergent Media
If you question whether or not paper is still important.
Television Critique –http://www.kgw.com/video
(Choose a video news report and critique it) – GC
6 – Yes and No Handout – GC
7 – Why Did Thomas Jefferson Say… – GC
WK6 Free and Open Press
– Is it important that we have a free and open press Why/Why not?
-What would happen if we didn’t have a free and open press?
-Would it be better or worse? Why/Why not?
-Would social media be different? How?
Types of quotes : Direct, Indirect and partial
Workshop 4a – Google Classroom
Piracy – ET
What it costs….
How They Make Money
Other types of piracy
A Sound Really?
Another Look –
WK6 Piracy Discussion – Google Classroom
Broadcast in a Box
Scavenger hunt- On Google Classroom
Finish Scavenger hunt-
How Does Social Media Shape the News?
1. How do social media sites stack up on news?
2.How do social media users participate in news?
3.How do social media users discover news?
4.What’s the news experience like on Facebook?
5. How does social media impact the discussion of news events?
Critique a NEWS or SPORTS story from each:
HOW TO DO A CRITIQUE
watch in class: